xxx border

xxx border

goss 3 bw

goss 3 bw

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fireworks

The first time John and I met face to face was the 4th of July weekend, 2003. John is usually on a fire at this peak time in his season but I was looking for any excuse to come to California and check this boy out in person. I told him I was coming to see my family and if he happened to be around it would be great to get together. I was trying to play it cool. He agreed but warned me that usually he is not home during this time. I planned the trip anyway.


I remember everyday was painstakingly agonizing wondering if he would be called away. I literally wouldn’t know if he would be there until I saw his face – or not.

Since April we had sent many letters, shared a few pictures of ourselves and spoke on the phone several times. Things were moving along wonderfully but you never really know if you’re going to click with someone until you meet them in person.

I flew into San Jose airport and at that point John was still home. Yay! As much as my Mom missed me and wanted to spend time with me, she selflessly drove me to Los Banos where we met Mariah, and then she and I drove to John’s house in Squaw Valley. I remember changing my clothes in her car, touching up my make up and being down right giddy with anticipation.

We arrived at John’s house on the hill and as we came through the back gate I saw him through the window making the final touches on the dinner he prepared. My heart fluttered and I suddenly got extremely nervous. He came out of the house, said hello and gave me a hug. It was a bit awkward due to our nerves but we were both very happy this moment had finally come. At that point in my life I wasn’t eating red meat. Even though he BBQ’d steak for everyone else, he made me salmon. Nice! He also made some delicious rice and a green salad – with apples! I remember thinking wow this guy is pulling out all the stops. Nice touch. Mariah, Robert, John and I enjoyed a great dinner on his back patio admiring his view of the mountains. He was a perfect gentleman and definitely lived up to my expectations. I was smitten! My worries were put to rest and I knew I could have a relationship with this guy. As the night went on, the beer and wine flowed, he gave me a tour of his house and then took me to this little lookout point where he had a tree swing. I sat in it and enjoyed the view. As I stood up there was an ideal moment for a first kiss. Like I said, he was acting like a gentleman so I had to make the move. We kissed and it was perfect.

Turned out, John was home most of the weekend, never getting called to a fire. That was our first sign that this was meant to be. He took me to Shaver Lake where his Dad and Step-mom were camping with his Step-sister and her fiancĂ©. Then we went to his Grandma’s cabin where I met Grandma Polly, John’s sister and her friends. Everyone was so nice and I instantly felt completely comfortable around all of them.

The next day we moseyed over to my neck of the woods, Santa Cruz. That night was my Grandparents wedding anniversary and there was a big party for them at a local restaurant. I didn’t even tell John about it at first. Things were going so well, and not that my family isn’t great, but I worried it would be too much too soon. After all, this was my entire family on my Mom’s side - aunts, cousins, grandparents, siblings, etc. I didn’t want to scare him away. But once he got wind of it he insisted on attending. He said, “This is a big deal. It’s your Grandparents anniversary. We can’t miss this. We’re going.” So after meeting my Mom at the bar for a much needed Margarita, we entered the party. We had a ball. My family, like his, was extremely welcoming and everyone ran right up and gave him hugs. John fit right in. He chatted, joked and even played along in my Aunt’s version of the Newlywed game. It was more even confirmation that this might just work out.

The following day we went to the beach with my Sister, Brother and Nephews. My Brother didn’t waste anytime giving John the “You better respect my Sister” speech. He chose to do it out in the middle of the ocean while they bodysurfed. A little intimidating huh? But John hung in there and as I said, fit right in.

It was the most amazing weekend. Neither of us wanted it to end. I don’t remember which day exactly was the 4th of July and I don’t think we ever actually saw any fireworks, but they were there. Trust me, sparks were flying all weekend and we both knew this was the beginning of something great.

1 comment: